Trying to conceive can easily become an all-consuming pursuit, but don’t let the stress of the conception rollercoaster keep you from having fun and enjoying your loved ones. If you find yourself looking at pregnant women and couples pushing strollers with longing, talk through that emotion with your partner or a close friend and then turn it around.
Ask the question, “OK, what are some things we can go do spontaneously because we aren’t limited by a pregnancy or an infant?” Soon those days of unfettered freedom could be behind you, so enjoy some of these fertility-friendly activities while you can.
- Salsa Dancing Class. This is a great way to laugh together, meet new people and stay physically fit at the same time. Most experts agree that increasing physical activity is beneficial for increasing the chances of conception, but they also agree that exercise doesn’t have to be boring. Investigate your city’s salsa dancing (or country line dancing, or ballroom dancing options, and become a regular.
- Gourmet Cooking Demonstrations. Healthy eating is of crucial importance during both pre-pregnancy and the pregnancy months, so seize the opportunity to learn some new dishes and techniques. Most cities have gourmet food stores that offer cooking classes or other educational events, and new ‘do-it-yourself” kitchens – that provide ingredients, ovens and supplies for you to cook delicious meals to bring home – are also fun and unique options.
- Take a Spur-of-the-Moment Trip. In every part of the country, there are charming small towns just waiting to be discovered. Do a quick Internet search (or ask around), book a room in a quaint bed-and-breakfast and hit the road, stopping to eat interesting roadside food along the way. If you have a larger travel budget and more time, choose a country you have always wanted to see and make it happen. The time for spontaneity is now.
- Find a New Cause. Have you always wanted to help an underprivileged child who is struggling with math or reading? This is the perfect time to volunteer for a tutoring program. Or you can walk dogs at the animal shelter, raise money to build a well in a Third World country, serve meals at a shelter or work on a Habitat for Humanity house. There are service opportunities for every type of person, and when you give of yourself to someone else you are sure to forget your own circumstances for a while.
- Rediscover Romance. It’s an unfortunate byproduct of trying to conceive – romance gets lost in the ovulation predictor kits, the charts and the urgency. Make a commitment to remember why you want to conceive a baby with your partner in the first place, with intentional, creative date nights and new twists on intimacy. Strengthen your relationship by focusing on each other solely for a while instead of your current conception setback.